[IPython-User] Errors in ipython 0.11 using python 3.2.1

Maarten Derickx m.derickx.student@gmail....
Fri Aug 12 10:22:37 CDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does this work on Linux?  I'm sure that if possible, Python 3
> would not automatically add itself to the front Python 2 in your PATH
> there either, as it's not quite ready to become the default over
> Python 2.  Or perhaps it's assumed that if you install from source
> rather than using a package manager on the platform that you know what
> you're doing.
> Anyway, make sure you add
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.2/bin to your PATH
> *after* /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin, or else
> suddenly Python 3 will become your default Python (which you almost
> certainly don't want at this point).

Just to be precise so you know how things look like on mac.

Nothing of the form
was in my path. Not even after manually installing python 3.2.

The python versions that came by default with my OS X 10.6 are 2.5 and 2.6
the executables belonging to those live in

The reason that they are in my path is because there are symlinks to
those places in /usr/bin
for example:
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root   wheel          75 Sep  5  2009 python2.5 ->

Next to this there is also a binary /usr/bin/python which starts the
same python as /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python2.6

Now by default installing python 3.2 will make symlinks in
/usr/local/bin to the place where the non system python files get

And an easy_install ipython using the easy_install belonging to
python2.6 will install an ipython file in /usr/local/bin

Now doing:

python3.2 setup.py install

in the downloaded source directory to install ipython will not create
a file in /usr/local/bin.

I guess that as soon as it becomes possible to easy_install ipython
for python3 then it will all become easier because then easy_install
will put the executables like ipython3 and ipcluster3 etc in
/urs/local/bin. Because that is what happens now on OS X as shown

md:~ maarten$ sudo easy_install ipython
Searching for ipython
Best match: ipython 0.11
Processing ipython-0.11-py2.6.egg
Adding ipython 0.11 to easy-install.pth file
Installing ipcontroller script to /usr/local/bin
Installing iptest script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipcluster script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipython script to /usr/local/bin
Installing pycolor script to /usr/local/bin
Installing iplogger script to /usr/local/bin
Installing irunner script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipengine script to /usr/local/bin
Installing ipython-qtconsole script to /usr/local/bin

Using /Library/Python/2.6/site-packages/ipython-0.11-py2.6.egg
Processing dependencies for ipython
Finished processing dependencies for ipython