[IPython-User] IPython and Qt

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Aug 14 08:26:04 CDT 2011

On 14 August 2011 14:09, Рустам Сафин <rustiksnegovik@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm writing some PyQt application and I'm need to embed python console. I
> know that some applications use ipython as interactive console such as
> Mayavi. But Mayavi uses WX-based console.

This is good timing, because the new version of IPython released a couple of
weeks ago actually includes a Qt console widget. I don't think we've yet got
documentation on embedding it, but have a look at:

- The docs on the Qt console:
- The code:
- The integration work Pierre has started for Spyder (an IDE in PyQt):

Note that at the moment, the Qt console launches the actual interactive
interpreter in a second process, and passes messages backwards and forwards.
I think there is a plan to have an in-process version in the future.

Hope that's useful, and don't hesitate to ask if you've got more questions,