[IPython-User] customizing prompt

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Fri Jan 20 05:59:31 CST 2012

Hi Hugo,

On 20 January 2012 11:11, Hugo Ahlenius <fraxinus@oxel.net> wrote:

> Where can I find information on what strings like \u \D \# are available
> for
> the prompt? I am asking - since the prompt gets wonky, likely due to
> windows
> paths, after a cd... (if there is an alternative way to do \u)

Someone has helpfully written a list here:
http://wiki.ipython.org/Cookbook/Dynamic_Prompt (scroll down the page). I
don't think the longer alternatives are any more reliable, though - the
short forms are just replaced with the long forms when the template is

How have you configured your prompt, and what are you seeing when it goes

Best wishes,