[IPython-User] RMagic causing X11 png call?

Massimo Di Stefano massimodisasha@gmail....
Thu Sep 6 10:16:47 CDT 2012

Hi Spencer,

i noticed the list with the same problem.
on this list, see the topic :

 R magic extension and default R graphic drivers

my understanding is :

as default R use the  png-x11 driver,  in order to produce a png (used by the notebook)
we should specify R to use an other Driver ..  "cairo" can be a good option.
in R you can specify the driver to be used (instead of the default X11 png) with a syntax like :

> png(file="myplot.png", bg="transparent", type="cairo'")

or typing the instruction :

and then you can avoid to specify the "type=cairo"  in the plot instruction.

an other way is  to add inside a .Rprofile file in your home.
a line like :

Unfortunately the Rmagic extension seems to don't recognize the .Rprofile settings
or more probable, in the RMagic src code :

IPython/extensions/rmagic.pyc in R(self, line, cell, local_ns)
    514         tmpd = tempfile.mkdtemp()
--> 515         self.r('png("%s/Rplots%%03d.png",%s)' % (tmpd, png_args))
    517         text_output = ''
we should be able to pass the  "type-cairo" as argument to the png() function.

i'm trying to modify the src code but without success