[IPython-User] starting ipcluster from inside an IPython session

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Fri Apr 12 17:11:40 CDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Ian Stokes-Rees <ijstokes@spmetric.com>wrote:

>  I would like to debug a "file not found" exception that I'm getting on
> my controller in ipcluster. It seems like the best way to do this would be
> to "execute" the ipcluster command from inside an IPython session with %pdb
> on, however I'm stumped as to why I can't execute the equivalent ipclusterapp setup from within IPython. All
> ipcluster does is:
> from IPython.parallel.apps.ipclusterapp import launch_new_instance
> launch_new_instance()
> and all launch_new_instance() does i:
> def launch_new_instance():
>     """Create and run the IPython cluster."""
>     app = IPClusterApp.instance()
>     app.initialize()
>     app.start()
> But when I try to execute this, the very first app =
> IPClusterApp.instance() instruction results in the error message:
> MultipleInstanceError: Multiple incompatible subclass instances of
> IPClusterApp are being created.
> Can anyone shed light on this problem?

You cannot have multiple 'Application' instances in one process.  If you
want to start ipcluster from IPython, it may be best to just call out to
the command-line with:

! ipcluster start -n 4 --daemon

Then stop it later with:

! ipcluster stop