[Nipy-devel] [nitime]New ideas for base-classes and time-series indexing

Ariel Rokem arokem@berkeley....
Wed Nov 4 20:58:36 CST 2009

Hi -

for the last couple of weeks (well, more like a month...), we have been
kicking around some ideas about adding some base-classes to nitime, for
representing different kinds of time objects and different kinds of
time-series. In addition, we have been discussing the implementation and
uses of a slice-like object, which we have dubbed 'TimeInterval'. We have
also been thinking about some ideas about how indexing could be done into
the time and time-series objects, with arrays of time-points, in addition to
using this new interval object. These ideas have been inspired, among other
things, by the recent addition of dtypes for the representation of time to
numpy. We are hoping to add rely on these dtypes (in particular on
'deltatime64') in our implementation of the time and time-series objects. So
far - we have been having these discussions in person, here in Berkeley, but
we would like to open the discussion to more opinions and so we have now
formalized this discussion in a dedicated section of nitime's documentation:

http://nipy.sourceforge.net/nitime/discussion/index.html

Please join the discussion - we are looking forward to hearing any thoughts
any of you might have on these issues, as we move forward in implementing
these things.

Cheers,

Ariel

--