[Nipy-devel] good format for storing numeric data

Wed Nov 18 00:40:50 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 08:28:23PM -0800, Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Dav Clark <davclark@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> > I would strongly advocate using the MINC2 filespec for the storage of
> > MRI data in HDF5. The smart fellas up at the MNI already thought long
> > and hard about many of these issues.

> +1.  If we end up using hdf5, we should adopt minc2.

+1 to that same very exact sentence: if we don't use nifti, let's use
hdf5 and thus minc2.

As Dav was pointing out on the FSL mailing list, when people invent there
own IO library (yes, nifti, I am looking at you), they end up with
storage that takes longer to read compressed than uncompressed, which
kinda defies the disk bandwidth problems.

Gaël