[Nipy-devel] Nightly build of trunk-neurospin docs

Thu Nov 26 00:14:54 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 03:08:36PM -0800, Matthew Brett wrote:
> > I have finally set up nightly builds of docs:
> > http://margarita.saclay.inria.fr/nightly/nipy-neurospin/
> > I build the nipy-neurospin branch, but as we pull quite often from trunk,
> > it should (hopefuly) be a superset of trunk.

> > The reasonning behind this is that some people are having a hard time
> > building the docs (not the right versions of matplotlib or sphinx, or
> > simply no GNU Make). To encourage writing docs, it is nice if you can
> > share your work quickly. I hope that the nightly docs will push people to
> > use docs as a way to communicate between collegues and developers, and
> > that it will lead to better docs.

> Excellent - thank you.   I wonder whether we should move to tighter
> merge cycles with the neurospin branch so we can have useful canonical
> docs somewhere.   We've got our rule of docs-go-direct-to-trunk - so
> that would make it Ok to do working documentation edits in trunk.
> Then we could put the docs up somewhere more obviously NIPY-related -
> what do you think?

I think that tighter merge cycles would be great. I also think that
it is dangerous to put nightly docs in some place too obvious, as people
will start using them without realising that they are nightly, and thus
will be surprised if the docs are different than the package they are
using. That's the limitation with having nightly docs.

Of course, the next step is nightly builds :) (the docs actually perform
that, and the output should be seen in
http://margarita.saclay.inria.fr/nightly/nipy-neurospin/make_docs.out,
but I made a mistake this time, and the file was not created).

Cheers,

Gaël