[Nipy-devel] Setup.py and platform specific shared objects

Wed Jan 12 12:04:18 CST 2011

Hey Eleftherios,

Quickly (I have to run to catch a bus):

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 01:51:43PM +0000, Eleftherios Garyfallidis wrote:
>    We want to make dipy to be installed very easily to all 3 platforms
>    Linux,Windows and Mac. As you know in dipy we use cython and although you
>    can install cython even with easy_install these day you need to have a
>    compiler on your system which could be a problem for some users. Therefore
>    we would prefer to provide the compiled code for the cython modules with
>    our installation and to be platform specific.

>    In other words we would like to provide the .dll for the windows system,
>    the relevant .so for the linux and mac systems.

My advice is: separate clearly several downloads

    1. The source package, that contains no binary (you can ship the
       Cython-generated files to avoid the dependency on Cython).

    2. Binary packages, with the binary files. In this case, for windows
       it is best to provide a '.exe' installer built with installshield.
       That's the way we do it for the scikit.

For linux, the best way to ship binaries is problably to use RPM/deps.
For debs, I would ask advice to the fantastic NeuroDebian guys.

My 2 cents,

Gael