[Nipy-devel] Setup.py and platform specific shared objects

Alexis Roche alexis.roche@gmail....
Thu Jan 13 15:34:07 CST 2011

Hi Eleftherios,

It seems reasonable to assume that each user should know his own
platforms so that you could provide one binary installer for each
supported platform, as opposed to one huge tarball for all platforms
in a spm-like fashion.

Also, do you absolutely require to link dynamically with external
libraries? As far as I can tell, dynamic linking is a nightmare on
windows, not sure it is even possible using python distutils. On
windows, I have always only managed static linking, which also makes
it possible to create a self-contained installer so that people need
to download only one file to install your stuff. The price to pay is
that that file might be relatively big, but who cares nowadays?

A magical command to create a windows installer is:

python setup.py bdist --format=wininst

As a shell/compilation environment, I would recommend mingw - I don't
think there is much choice by the way. It's relatively easy to install
many ptython packages including cython on top of mingw (use binary
installers, when available, rather than easy_install). You will find a
lot of useful additional information on:

http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Windows

Hope it helps.

Alexis

https://sites.google.com/site/alexisroche