[Nipy-devel] The end of nipy.io.imageformats

Wed Jan 19 13:21:31 CST 2011

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:15:34AM -0800, Matthew Brett wrote:
> Yes, it's going to add another dependency to nipy, but it's a minor
> one in the sense that it's released, and it's pure python.   There's
> just too much code in nibabel to carry around a long term copy in
> nipy.  nipy also depends on sympy and scipy so it's not as if we have
> no dependencies at the moment.

And it's a major practical problem for me. Each additional package on
the list makes it harder for users and forces me to spend more time when
installing nipy on their computer.

Currently, I cannot push non advanced users to use nipy because they
cannot instal it, unless I take on me to install it for them. It makes me
reluctant to depend on it or to push code in it.

My 2 cents,

Gaël