[Numpy-discussion] mmap (was: fast constructor for arrays from byte data)

Robert Kern kern at caltech.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:23:10 CDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 01:56:56PM -0700, Phil Austin wrote:

[snip pointers to info]

> bottom line: you really need a vm implementation that supports
> madvise() to get the maximum benefit from mmap.  (Linux 2.4
> might have madvise, I haven't tried it out yet -- 2.2 didn't).

FWIW, there appears to be a madvise(2) system call in Linux 2.4.7 (in
mm/filemap.c for those of you with kernel source trees lying around), but I
can't find it in the headers anywhere. Sigh. I don't know if madvise is supposed
to be internal or not, though.

Robert Kern
kern at caltech.edu

  -- Richard Harter