[Numpy-discussion] Segmentation fault when dealing with larga rank arrays

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Wed Nov 6 08:16:08 CST 2002

I'm having some segmentation faults when dealing with large rank arrays in

You can see some examples in the following:

>>> zeros((1,) * 21) == zeros((1,) * 21)
Segmentation fault

Of course, this kind of usage is quite unusual, but I'm interested on it
because I'm developing tests for a package based on Numerical and wanted to
check the larger rank supported.

>>> ones((1,) * 41)
Segmentation fault

In this case, I know that Numeric supports array ranks until 40, but in
opinion, an error should be raised instead of merely givin a "Segmentation

I'm having these problems using Numeric 20.2.1, 21.0 and 22.0 in both Python
2.1.x and 2.2.x. My platform is Intel under Linux Debian 3.0.

Thank you,

Francesc Alted                            PGP KeyID:      0x61C8C11F
Scientific aplications developer
Public PGP key available: http://www.openlc.org/falted_at_openlc.asc
Key fingerprint = 1518 38FE 3A3D 8BE8 24A0  3E5B 1328 32CC 61C8 C11F