[Numpy-discussion] more than 2-D numarrays in recarray?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Feb 4 04:05:04 CST 2003

Francesc Alted wrote:

>It seems that recarray doesn't support more than 1-D numarray arrays as
>fields. Is that a fundamental limitation?
I don't think it is fundamental,  merely a question of what is needed
and works easily.  I see two problems with multi-d numarray fields, both

1.  Multidimensional numarrays must be described in the recarray spec.

2. Either numarray or recarray must be able to handle a (slightly) more
complicated case of recomputing array strides from shape and

I didn't design or implement recarray so there may be other problems as

>If not, do you plan to support
>arbitrary dimensions in the future?.
I don't think it's a priority now.  What do you need them for?