[Numpy-discussion] Re: MacPython and Numeric

Andrea Riciputi ariciputi at pito.com
Mon Sep 15 03:24:03 CDT 2003

Fink project (see <http://fink.sourceforge.net/>) offers Numeric
already linked against Apple's vecLib. Here is the output about that

> [ibook:~/Installs/IPython] andrea% fink describe numeric-py22
> Information about 2973 packages read in 5 seconds.
> numeric-py22-23.0-1: Multidim'l numerical arrays for Python, using
> Apple vecLib
>   Links against optimized Apple vecLib BLAS/LAPACK, instead of
>   using slower, built-in blas and lapack routines.
>   Should now be just as fast as numeric-atlas.
>  .
>  Web site: http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy
>  .
>  Maintainer: Jeffrey Whitaker <jsw at cdc.noaa.gov>

I think you can ask the maintainer for more information or look at the
Fink's installation script if you know how debs system works. Here it
is a link to the scripts:

Hope this help.

On Monday, Sep 15, 2003, at 10:36 Europe/Rome, Jack Jansen wrote:

> Folks,
> I got this report on Numeric as included with MacPython (through the
> package manager) and it looks
> promising. But: I'm building Numeric simply by running setup.py, so in
> order to get the added performance
> Numeric's setup.py would need to be taught about veclib.
> Is anyone willing to look into this?
Andrea Riciputi

"Science is like sex: sometimes something useful comes out,
   but that is not the reason we are doing it" -- (Richard Feynman)