[Numpy-discussion] rebin (corrected)

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Aug 31 11:49:09 CDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 12:05, Tim Hochberg wrote:
> Russell E Owen wrote:
> > I personally have no strong opinion on averaging vs summing
> I really have no strong feelings since I have no use for rebinning at
> the moment. Back when I did, it would have been for rebinning data from
> particle detectors.

In the IRAF image tools, one gets summing by setting
"fluxconserve=yes".  The name of this option is nicely descriptive of
what an astronomer would mean by summing as opposed to averaging.

Many of the images I work with are ratio images;  for example, a solar
contrast map.  When I reshape a ratio image I want average, not sum.
So, I would have to say that I need to have both average and sum
available with an option to switch between them.

By the way, has anyone else read

Craig has implemented the algorithm described therein in PDL (Perl Data
Language, http://pdl.perl.org), and a Python based implementation would
be awfully nice.

Hope to see a few of you in Pasadena.

Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge