[Numpy-discussion] Getting the indexes of the myarray.min()

Álvaro Tejero Cantero alvaro at antalia.com
Wed May 12 12:45:07 CDT 2004

I am new to numarray. I have been searching the documentation, and see
no evident vectorial and concise way to get the indexes for the minimum
of an array times.min().

Currently my two alternatives are: (times is NxN array)

husband, wife = nonzero(equal(times.min(),times))
#gives tuple of 1x1 arrays, each containing one index

and (even uglier)

husband = compress(times.min()==times,indices([N,N])[0])
wife    = compress(times.min()==times,indices([N,N])[1])

These are weird ways to get something as simple. I am surely missing
something, but I have tried several slicing strategies before without

For getting the minimum times in each row I use:

What are the idioms in numpy for these tasks?

Thank you very much in advance, á.

I would

Álvaro Tejero Cantero

http://alqua.org    --	documentos libres