[Numpy-discussion] doc bug in numarray 1.1

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 13 16:38:02 CDT 2004

HI all,

I just installed numarray 1.1. All went well with setup.py. Then I
decided to try to build it against an atlas lapack. I found, under the
Linear Algebra section:

the setup procedure needs to be modified to force the lapack_lite module
to be linked against those rather than the builtin replacement functions.

Edit Packages/LinearAlgebra2/setup.py and edit the variables sourcelist,
lapack_dirs, and lapack_libs.

In sourcelist you should remove all sourcefiles besides ....

but there is no:

However, I did find in:

if os.environ.has_key('USE_LAPACK'):

so I tried:

export USE_LAPACK=true
python setup.py build --gencode

Now it appears to be compiling linear_algebra differently, as I now get
a linking error, can't find:

f90math, fio, or f77math

However, if I remove those from lapack_libs in addons.py, I can get it
to compile, install, and as far as I can tell, run fine. Why are they in
that list?

By the way, this is all under Gentoo Linux.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov