[Numpy-discussion] Thoughts on getting "something" in the Python core

Steven H. Rogers steve at shrogers.com
Sat Apr 2 06:50:58 CST 2005

First, thanks for doing this Travis.

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> I'm coming to see that what is most important for the Python core is
> "protocols".  Then, there can be a "million" different array types that
> can all share each other's memory without hassle and much overhead.
> I'm still personally interested in a better Numeric, however, and so
> won't be abandoning the concept of Numeric3 (notice I now call it
> scipy.base --- not a change of focus just a change of name).    I just
> wanted to encourage some discussion on the array protocol.

Your array protocol protocol idea sounds good.  It should not only make it
easier to interoperate with other Python packages, but foreign entities like
APL/J, Matlab, and LabVIEW.

Steven H. Rogers, Ph.D., steve at shrogers.com
Weblog: http://shrogers.com/weblog
"Reach low orbit and you're half way to anywhere in the Solar System."
-- Robert A. Heinlein