[Numpy-discussion] The array interface published

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Tue Apr 5 02:00:24 CDT 2005

Scott Gilbert <xscottg at yahoo.com>:
> --- Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon <mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "the array interface could become
> > part of the Python standard as early as Python 2.5", since there
> > is nothing to install. Or does this mean that Python's array will
> > conform to the array interface?
> >
> It would be nice to have the Python array module support the protocol for
> the 1-Dimensional arrays that it implements.  It would also be nice to add
> a *simple* ndarray object in the core that supports multi-dimensional
> arrays.  I think breaking backward compatibility of the existing Python
> array module to support multiple dimensions would be a mistake and unlikely
> to get accepted.

Do we really have to break backward compatibility in order to add more
dimensions to the array module?

There may be some issues with, e.g., typecode, but still...

Magnus Lie Hetland                    Fall seven times, stand up eight
http://hetland.org                                  [Japanese proverb]