[Numpy-discussion] metadata and metabehavior for arrays (for scipy.base or Numeric3)

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Apr 7 02:42:07 CDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005, at 11:25, Sebastien.deMentendeHorne at electrabel.com

> Why not have the ability to ask the name of an ufunc to be able to
> dispatch on it ?

That's already possible.

> What about :
> object.__unary__(cos, mode = "reduce")
> object.__binary__(cos, other, mode = "reduce")

What does "reduce" mode mean for cos?
What does a binary ufunc in reduce mode do with its second argument?

> However, for binary operations, how it the call dispatched if one of
> the operand is of a type while the other is another type ? This
> problem is related to multimethods
> http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=101605

No need to be innovative: Python always dispatches on the first
argument, and everybody is familiar with that approach even though it
isn't perfect. If Python 3000 has multimethods, we can still adapt.

Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France
Tel.: +33-1 69 08 79 25