[Numpy-discussion] Numeric/numarray compatibility issue

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Fri Mar 4 12:20:23 CST 2005

On 04.03.2005, at 19:50, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> Hmmm, I'm a little confused here. If the overflow issue is what you
> are worried about, then use of Int8 for boolean results would still be
> a problem

Yes. The question about the difference was just out of curiosity.

>  here. Since Numeric is already likely generating Int32 from logical
> ufuncs (Int actually), the use of astype(Int) is little different than
> many of the temporaries that Numeric creates in expressions. I find it
> hard to believe

It's the same, but it's one more. The only one is some of my
large-array code, as I have carefully used the three-argument forms of
the binary operators to avoid intermediate results. I can't do that for
comparisons between float arrays.

After some consideration, I think the best solution is a special "sum
integer array" function in my Numeric/numarray adaptor module (the one
that chooses which module to import). The numarray version can then use
the type specifier in the reduction.

Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Leon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France