[Numpy-discussion] ANN: PyTables 1.2

Jeff Whitaker jswhit at fastmail.fm
Wed Nov 23 08:59:14 CST 2005

Chris Barker wrote:
> Francesc Altet wrote:
>> Also, Jeff Whitaker has kindly contributed a new module called
>> tables.NetCDF. It is designed to be used as a drop-in replacement for
>> Scientific.IO.NetCDF, with only minor actions to existing code.
> What advantages does tables.NetCDF have over Scientific.IO.NetCDF?
> -Chris
Chris:  From my perspective, the transparent compression (using zlib and
the hdf5 shuffle filter) is the biggest one.  I get files that are a
factor of 2-4 smaller.

Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone  : (303)497-6313
Meteorologist               FAX    : (303)497-6449
NOAA/OAR/PSD  R/PSD1        Email  : Jeffrey.S.Whitaker at noaa.gov
325 Broadway                Office : Skaggs Research Cntr 1D-124
Boulder, CO, USA 80303-3328 Web    : http://tinyurl.com/5telg