[SciPy-user] [SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Fri Oct 7 00:12:54 CDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Fernando Perez wrote:

> To reiterate before my reputation is tarnished forever: the bet was with John,
> who is the doughnuts-eating one.  Being a man of taste, I eat bagels :) [and I
> wasn't present when the bet was made]
> With that critical point out of the way, on to minor details.

Thanks for the clarification - this definitively made my day ;-)

> In fact, I'd like docstrings to provide (simple) examples in them,

+(some large positive number ;-)

> and one thing on my radar now that
> ipython is growing GUI/XML legs is to add support for latex in docstrings.

Are you thinking of restructured text
together with the mathhack
or the tools used in the LaTeXwiki,

Independent of this, I see two main points:
- how should the examples be added
- who should add the examples
to the doc-strings?
Getting "end-users" to help with this task sounds quite attractive to me.

Would it make sense to revive the pynotes idea
which would make it possible to add remarks to any python command?

However, I don't know if there is a good solution on how to
submit these notes and how they finally
should get merged into the doc-string
(One possibility would be to combine this in some way
with Travis' live-docs).
It might be unavoidable that at the end some knowledgable person has
to go over suggested additions and incorporate them
on a case-by-case basis?