[Numpy-discussion] equality with masked object

Sasha ndarray at mac.com
Tue Apr 25 06:17:13 CDT 2006

On 4/25/06, Lionel Roubeyrie <lroubeyrie at limair.asso.fr> wrote:

> Why 5.0 == -- return True? A float is it the same as a masked object?
> thanks

It does not.  It returns ma.masked :

>>> test[3] is ma.masked

You should not access masked data - it makes no sense.  The current
behavior is historical and I don't really like it.  Masked scalars are
replaced by ma.masked singleton in subscript operations to allow a[i]
is masked idiom.  In my view it is not worth the trouble, but my
suggestion to get rid of that feature was not met with much