[Numpy-discussion] users point of view and ufuncs

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 19:39:50 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Sasha <ndarray at mac.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at gmail.com> wrote:
> >[snip] it would be
> > nice to add a concise definition of "ufunc" to the numpy glossary:
> > http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Glossary.
> >
> done
> > Can anyone come up with such a definition?
> I copied the definition from the old Numeric manual.
> >  Here's my stab at it:
> >
> >        ufunc:  A function that operates element-wise on arrays.
> >
> This is not entirely correct.  Ufuncs operate on anything that can be
> passed to asarray: arrays, python lists, tuples or scalars.

Hey Sasha.  Your defnition may be more correct, but I have to confess
I don't understand it.

   "Universal function. Universal functions follow similar rules for
broadcasting, coercion and "element-wise operation"."

What is "coercion"? (Who or what is being coerced to do what?) and
what does it mean to "follow similar rules for ... coercion"?  Similar
to what?