[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Question, Probability

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 27 15:09:42 CST 2006

pearu at cens.ioc.ee wrote:
>  I have been working on
> f2py rewrite to support wrapping Fortran 90 types among other F90
> constructs and as a result we have almost a complete Fortran parser in
> Python. It is relatively easy to use this parser to automatically convert
> Fortran 77 codes that we have in scipy to C codes whenever no Fortran
> compiler is available.

How is the different/better than the old standby f2c?

One issue with f2c is that it required a pretty good set of libs to
support stuff that Fortran had that C didn't -- complex numbers come to
mind, I'm not sure what else was is in libf2c.

In fact, I've often wondered why scipy doesn't use f2c.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov