[Numpy-discussion] Need compilations with compilers other than gcc

Arnd Baecker arnd.baecker at web.de
Tue Feb 7 06:02:05 CST 2006

Hi Travis,

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> We need to test numpy on other compilers besides gcc, so that we can
> ferret out any gnu-isms that we may be relying on.
> Anybody out there with compilers they are willing to try out and/or
> report on?

Alright, we might need the asbestos suite thing:

Something ahead: I normally used
  python numpy/distutils/system_info.py lapack_opt
to figure out which library numpy is going to use.
With current svn I get the folloowing error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "numpy/distutils/system_info.py", line 111, in ?
    from exec_command import find_executable, exec_command, get_pythonexe
line 56, in ?
    from numpy.distutils.misc_util import is_sequence
ImportError: No module named numpy.distutils.misc_util

Concerning icc compilation I used:

  export FC_VENDOR=Intel
  export F77=ifort
  export CC=icc
  export CXX=icc
  python setup.py config --compiler=intel   install --prefix=$DESTnumpyDIR
| tee ../build_log_numpy_${nr}.txt

The build log shows
 1393 warnings
 3362 remarks

Should I post them off-list or on scipy-dev?

Trying to test the resulting numpy gives:

In [1]: import numpy
import core -> failed:
undefined symbol: ?1__serial_memmove
import random -> failed: 'module' object has no attribute 'dtype'
import lib -> failed:
undefined symbol: ?1__serial_memmove
import linalg -> failed:
undefined symbol: ?1__serial_memmove
import dft -> failed:
undefined symbol: ?1__serial_memmove
exceptions.ImportError                               Traceback (most
recent call last)

/work/home/baecker/<ipython console>

     44     test = ScipyTest('numpy').test
---> 45     import add_newdocs
     47     __doc__ += """

----> 2 from lib import add_newdoc
      4 add_newdoc('numpy.core','dtypedescr',
      5            [('fields', "Fields of the data-typedescr if any."),
      6             ('alignment', "Needed alignment for this data-type"),

      3 from numpy.version import version as __version__
----> 5 from type_check import *
      6 from index_tricks import *
      7 from function_base import *

      6            'common_type']
----> 8 import numpy.core.numeric as _nx
      9 from numpy.core.numeric import ndarray, asarray, array, isinf,
isnan, \
     10      isfinite, signbit, ufunc, ScalarType, obj2sctype

      3 from numpy.version import version as __version__
----> 5 import multiarray
      6 import umath
      7 import numerictypes as nt

undefined symbol: ?1__serial_memmove

I already reported this a month ago with a bit more information
on a possible solution

Best, Arnd