[Numpy-discussion] Re: Fwd: Re: inconsistent use of axis= keyword argument?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 12:08:05 CST 2006

Colin J. Williams wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:

>> It's possible to add some aliases, sure. No, we're not going to do it.
>> There are
>> already too many different names for the same thing in numpy because of
>> backwards compatibility. We should not exacerbate the problem.
> Could these be put into a separate modules and only included when
> Numeric compatibility is desired?

Most, if not all, of the core aliases are already isolated in
numpy.core.oldnumeric. Some of the other packages also have some aliases _in
situ_, too. I would personally like it if the core aliases weren't imported by
default, but I think that's a decision that should have been made (one way or
the other) some months ago when the first wave of code conversion was going on.
I don't want to trigger a second wave of code conversion just for asthetics.

Robert Kern
robert.kern at gmail.com

  -- Richard Harter