[Numpy-discussion] Faster fill

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Mon Feb 27 21:43:02 CST 2006

Sasha wrote:

>On the second thought, it may be better to commit experimental changes
>to a branch in svn and merge to the trunk after review.  What do you
This is always possible.  It really depends on how significant the
changes are.  These changes are somewhat isolated to a single bit of
functionality (adding a new item to the function structure pointed to by
each PyArray_Descr shouldn't change anything else).

As long as svn compiles and passes all tests, I think it can be merged
directly.    I see branches as being needed when a feature requires more
testing and it is less clear how invasive the changes will be.

In this case, I would say go ahead and apply the feature directly..

>The patch passes numpy.test(10), but I don't think it tests
>ndarray.fill in any meaningful way.  I will probably need to add some
Tests are always good.  In fact, it's an easy way for someone to
contribue, since there are a lot of features I have only tested using
examples in my book (the book examples serve as an additional set of
tests that I regularly run).