[Numpy-discussion] Re: [SciPy-dev] numpy/scipy some remarks

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Jan 18 09:51:05 CST 2006

Andrew Jaffe wrote:

>I have some related numpy/scipy questions:
>  - I recently upgraded to the most recent SVN of numpy, without doing
>likewise for scipy. I found that the numpy.test() calls failed in a
>couple of places -- because *scipy* hadn't been updated with the latest
>dtype updates! (I can't reproduce the errors since I've since updated
>scipy.) I thought the whole point of the numpy/scipy split was to avoid
>'implicit' calls of scipy from numpy, wasn't it?
Not entirely.  The issue was namespace clashes between packages.    This
issue has come up before and is localized to the numpy.dual module.  If
somebody would like to re-write the module to contain a register
function that scipy hooks into to register new functions for the ones
listed there,  then that would be a better solution.  But, I haven't had
time to do it.