[Numpy-discussion] how to use argsort result?

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at stsci.edu
Wed Jul 12 16:42:08 CDT 2006

Pardon me if I'm reprising an earlier discussion, as I'm new to the list.

But is there a reason that this obscure syntax

is preferable to the intuitively reasonable thing that the Original
Poster did?

Doesn't it violate the pythonic "principle of least surprise" for the
simpler syntax not to work?

As a casual numpy user, I can't imagine being able to remember the
obscure syntax in order to use the result of an argsort.

Vicki Laidler
(numarray user who came from IDL)