[Numpy-discussion] Any Numeric or numarray users on this list?

Konrad Hinsen khinsen at cea.fr
Tue Jun 6 11:22:31 CDT 2006

On May 31, 2006, at 4:53, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> Please help the developers by responding to a few questions.
> 1) Have you transitioned or started to transition to NumPy (i.e.
> import numpy)?

> 2) Will you transition within the next 6 months? (if you answered
> No to #1)

I would like to, but I am not sure to find the time. I am not in a
hurry either, as Numeric continues to work fine.

> 3) Please, explain your reason(s) for not making the switch. (if
> you answered No to #2)

Lack of time. Some of the changes from Numeric are subtle and require
a careful analysis of the code, and then careful testing. For big
applications, that's a lot of work. There are also modules (I am
thinking of RNG) that have been replaced by something completely
different that needs to be evaluated first.

Konrad Hinsen
Laboratoire Léon Brillouin, CEA Saclay,
91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex, France
Tel.: +33-1 69 08 79 25