[Numpy-discussion] Opinions on the book H.P. Langtangen: Python Scripting for Computational Science, 2nd ed.

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 05:50:03 CST 2006

I have the first edition which is very comprehensive on Python,
numarray and Numeric - note that by NumPy he is means only Numeric and
numarray and not the new numpy. If you have the basic of Python and
numerical computing then it is a great book as it cover many different
topics. For example, there is considerable detail on using Fortran and
C/C++ with Numeric and numarray including examples.

For the majority of the material in the book is still valid for the
new Numpy. He does provide a number of advanced topics in Python,
numarray and Numeric that are hard to find elsewhere.

If you are going to extensive numerical work then it is really worth it.