[Numpy-discussion] Current SVN segfaults under VC7

Tim Hochberg tim.hochberg at cox.net
Thu Mar 23 08:03:07 CST 2006

Fernando Perez wrote:

> Tim Hochberg wrote:
>> This did fix things...eventually. I removed the build directory and
>> rebuilt. Numpy still bombed the interpreter, although in a new and
>> less exciting way. I then did a clean checkout from svn and rebuilt.
>> Same thing. Then I manally removed numpy from site-packages and
>> reinstalled at which points things worked and all tests passed.
>> So in addition to needing to remove the build directory, it appears
>> that something was hanging out in the destination directory that did
>> not get overwritten and caused problems.
>> Perhaps this description will help the next person who runs into
>> this, but probably not.
> Well, the script that I posted does precisely all of this in a
> mindless fashion,

So it does. I should have looked at that more closely.

> which is why I find it useful.  You may want to give it a try (it's
> trivial, but it just ensures you don't forget these steps and end up
> wasting any time chasing the problem).

Well, I'd probably have to rewrite it to get it work under windows. I
may do that, although  'rm -rf' always scares me (even though it looks
pretty safe here). Still, it would be nice if 'setup.py clean' and
'setup.py install' did this automagically.