Need more comments from scientific community on python-dev

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at
Wed Nov 1 09:02:04 CST 2006

On 10/31/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at> wrote:
> One thing I see with PIL and Matplotlib and PyOpenGL is that they're having
> to add specific support for Numpy and numeric and numarray and PIL and
> ctypes etc.

This is a real problem, and a waste of developing time, because we
lack a **general** and **standard** mechanism.

> would the proposed extensions make it
> possible for all these different packages to just have to support "buffer
> protocol" and magically be able to work with numpy or numeric without having
> to introduce explicit dependencies and support code for all those other
> packages?

I think this is the actual reason of Travis's proposal, and of all
other people like me supporting him.

> If I've got the facts straight then I'd be happy to go and say
> that on comp.lang.python.

Please, go on!

Lisandro Dalcín
Tel/Fax: +54-(0)342-451.1594