Strange and hard to reproduce crash

Fernando Perez at
Thu Nov 2 13:07:42 CST 2006

On 10/23/06, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at> wrote:

> I've placed them in SVN (r3384):
> arraydescr_dealloc needs to do something like.
> if (self->fields == Py_None) {
>     print something
>     incref(self)
>     return;
> }
> Most likely there is a missing Py_INCREF() before some call that uses
> the data-type object (and consumes it's reference count) --- do you have
> any Pyrex code (it's harder to get it right with Pyrex).

OK, we've completed another long run (several days), and this time it
didn't crash.  But I think there are still refcount problems.  I'm
attaching the full log file and a plot of the refcount.  It's wrapping
around, and after some point the increase switches to a pefectly
linear pattern, I'm not exactly sure why (it could be a change in the
underlying code after the initialization phase; it's not my code so I
don't know its internals).

I hope this helps, it would be nice to track this down before 1.0.1 is out.