problems installing NumPy on OSX

arildna at arildna at
Sat Nov 4 15:22:19 CST 2006

I'm sorry if this might seem like a stupid question to some of you,
but I have been struggling for the better part of the afternoon trying
to install NumPy on my G4 iBook, so I hope somebody can take the time
to lend me a helping hand. I have searched a little in the mail
archives and tried to follow the instructions on this page:

Python 2.5 is installed, and I have installed Apple's Developer's
Tools (i.e. the package "December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools"). The
GCC/G77-installation seemed to go ok.

When I try to install the FFW libraries however, I get an error
message telling me that my "C compiler cannot create executables"
(full output below).

After that I didn't really expect the installation of NumPy to work,
but I got a "permission denied"-error message that I'm not so sure is
connected to the missing FFW.

So I'm at loss... Anyone?

Many thanks,

    Arild Næss

checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... awk
checking build system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking host system type... powerpc-apple-darwin8.8.0
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

%python build
Running from numpy source directory.
F2PY Version 2_3396
     extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
     extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec',

     extra_link_args = ['-Wl,-framework', '-Wl,Accelerate']
     define_macros = [('NO_ATLAS_INFO', 3)]
     extra_compile_args = ['-faltivec']

running build
running config_fc
running build_src
building py_modules sources
error: build/src.macosx-10.3-fat-2.5/numpy/distutils/
Permission denied