Style - was Re: numpy.repeat TypeError: array cannot be safely cast to required type

Victoria G. Laidler laidler at
Mon Nov 6 16:59:54 CST 2006

Stefan van der Walt wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 03:10:20PM -0500, Colin J. Williams wrote:
>> Many thanks.  In general, there is sense in the Python dictum about having one
>> way to do things.  Although, in this case [length] vs length for one dimension
>> doesn't
>> exercise me greatly.  I would be a bit more concerned about synonyms.
>> Nobody has proposed using English yet - zeroes.
> If Cambridge Advanced Learner's is happy with zeros, then so we should
> be:
> zero   Show phonetics
> noun plural zeros or zeroes
> 1 [C or U] (the number) 0; nothing:
> I think the American-english speakers on the list outnumber the rest
> of us, so we'd better be careful :)
You know, I spell this wrong at least every other time I use it.
But of course, if we changed it to "zeroes", I'd -still- spell it wrong
every other time I used it.

Are synonyms really *always* evil????

Vicki Laidler