Int32s, scalar operations and Pyhon longs

Robert Kern robert.kern at
Thu Nov 9 16:14:47 CST 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:
> I'm a bit confused, because I thought that when you extracted a scalar
> from an array, you got regular python scalar for the datatypes that are
> supported. This made it clear that you always get a numpy Scalar, which,
> in a few situations, behaves differently than a seemingly equivalent
> Python scalar.

Part of the point of adding scalar types was to ensure that a[0], for example,
always exposes the array interface (.shape, .dtype, etc.) whether a.shape is
(10,) or (10, 10). This uniformity aids generic programming.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco