reference count problems

Mathew Yeates myeates at
Wed Nov 15 14:30:27 CST 2006

I'm running a 64 bit Python 2.5 on an x86 with Solaris. I have a
function I call over 2^32 times and eventually I run out of memory.

The function is
def make_B(deltadates):
    for ind in range(0,numcols): #comment out this loop and all is good
        B[ind,0:numcols] = deltadates[0:numcols]
    return B

If I comment out the loop lines, my memory is okay. I'm guessing that a
reference is being added to "deltadates" and that the reference count is
going above 2^32 and reseting. Anybody have any ideas about how I can
cure this? Is Numpy increasing the reference count here?