incrementing along a diagonal

David Novakovic david at
Wed Oct 11 03:08:57 CDT 2006

i'm moving some old perl PDL code to python. I've come across a line
which changes values in a diagonal line accross a matrix.

matrix.diagonal() returns a list of values, but making changes to these
does not reflect in the original (naturally).

I'm just wondering if there is a way that i can increment all the values
along a diagonal?

P.S i wasnt sure how to sign to the mailing list - so i'd appreciate
being CC'd in any replies ;)