select part of array using two conditions

Mark Bakker markbak at
Wed Oct 11 04:06:24 CDT 2006

Hello -

I want to select part of an array using two conditions.
I know how to do it with one condition (and it works great), but when I use
two conditions I get an error message?
This is probably easy, but I cannot figure it out.
Thanks for any help, Mark

>>> a = arange(10)
>>> a
array([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
array([3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9])
>>> a[ a>2 and a<8 ]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#52>", line 1, in ?
    a[ a>2 and a<8 ]
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is
ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()