Things to address for Py3K

Travis Oliphant oliphant at
Wed Oct 11 14:15:24 CDT 2006

Christopher Barker wrote:

>Travis Oliphant wrote:
>>A couple on my short list
>>1) Adding a *few* new infix operators.
>>   a) an extra multiplication operator to distinguish between
>>element-by-element and dot
>>   b) extending 'and' and 'or' to allow element-by-element logical
>>operations or adding && and ||
>>2) Lowering the precedence of & so that a > 8 & a < 10  works as you
>>would expect.
>Maybe this goes without saying, but:
>3) Inclusion of an nd-array type in the standard lib!
>(or at the very least, an nd-array protocol)
Work on an nd-array protocol to extend the buffer protocol is occurring
right now.  It think this will be better in the end then a standard
nd-array type.

I think a multi-dimensional object array would at least be a nice step.

There are enough differences between lists and 1-d arrays though, that
I'm not sure the accepted multi-dimensional object array would just be
the NumPy version.