Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at
Wed Oct 11 15:28:19 CDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Greg Willden <gregwillden at> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've read discussions in the archives about how round() "rounds to even"
> and how that is supposedly better.
> But what I haven't been able to find is "What do I use if I want the
> regular old round that you learn in school?"

Perhaps you could explain *why* you want the schoolbook round? Given that
floating point is inherently inaccurate you would have to expect to produce
a lot of numbers exactly of the form x.5 *without errors*, which means you
probably don't need round to deal with it. Anyway, absent a flag somewhere,
you can do something like (x + sign(x)*.5).astype(int).