Should numpy.sqrt(-1) return 1j rather than nan?

David Goldsmith David.L.Goldsmith at
Thu Oct 12 01:10:19 CDT 2006

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> pearu at wrote:
>> Could sqrt(-1) made to return 1j again?
> Not in NumPy.  But, in scipy it could.
Ohmigod!!!  You are definitely going to scare away many, many potential
users - if I wasn't obliged to use open source at work, you'd be scaring
me away.  I was thinking about translating all my personal
fractal-generating Matlab code into Python, but I certainly won't be
doing that now!