Should numpy.sqrt(-1) return 1j rather than nan?

Greg Willden gregwillden at
Thu Oct 12 08:58:21 CDT 2006

On 10/11/06, Bill Baxter <wbaxter at> wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Greg Willden <gregwillden at> wrote:
> > Speed should not take precedence over correctness.
> Unless your goal is speed.  Then speed should take precedence over
> correctness.

Person 1:  "Hey you should use function X."
Person 2:  "No, it doesn't give me the correct answer."
Person 1: "Who cares?  It's fast!"

What kind of logic is that?

I'm having serious doubts about my conversion to Numpy.