[SciPy-dev] NumPy/SciPy + MPI for Python

A. M. Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 11:48:15 CDT 2006

On 14/10/06, Gael Varoquaux <gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 06:58:45AM -0600, Bill Spotz wrote:
> > I would like to second the notion of converging on a single MPI
> > interface.  My parallel project encapsulates most of the inter-
> > processor communication within higher-level objects because the lower-
> > level communication patterns can usually be determined from higher-
> > level data structures.  But still, there are times when a user would
> > like access to the lower-level MPI interface.
> I think we are running in the same old problem of scipy/a super-package
> of scientific tools. It is important to keep numpy/scipy modular. People
> may want to install either one without an MPI interface. However it is
> nice that if somebody just wants "everything" without having to choose
> he can download that "everything" from scpy.org and that it comes well
> bundled together. So all we need to do is find a name for that
> super-package, put it together with good integration and add it to
> scipy.org.
> My 2 cents,
> Gaël

I agree. Moreover, being picked for such integration work would help
encourage people to converge on one MPI interface (for example).
There's some discussion of such a package at NumpyProConPage on the
wiki (and in particular at http://www.scipy.org/PyLabAwaits ). The
"scipy superpack" (which is only for Windows, as I understand it) is a
sort of beginning.

So, well, any suggestion for a name? pylab is already in use by
matplotlib (for some reason), as is Scientific Python (and numpy,
Numeric and numarray are obviously already confusing).

A. M. Archibald