array repr

Andrew MacKeith Andrew.MacKeith at
Tue Oct 17 12:28:02 CDT 2006

I would like to use the built-in array_repr in numpy, because
I need a fast repr that does not contain new line characters.
I see no way of doing this without editing the code in,
and I hate to edit other people's libraries.

from numpy import array
causes to be executed, which includes a call to
multiarray.set_string_function(array_repr, 1)

If I want to "undo" this, there is no way of doing it.

I would like to unset the repr with:
numpy.set_string_function(None, 1)
but this raises a TypeError because None is not callable.

This behavior was the same in Numeric, and in that case I edited the
code in but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Should I submit a patch for this?

Andrew MacKeith