The NumPy Fortran-ordering quiz

Travis Oliphant oliphant at
Wed Oct 18 17:06:32 CDT 2006

Charles R Harris wrote:

> Could we make a few changes ;)
> For printing the flags I would suggest using C-Contiguous and
> F-Contiguous so folks don't have to read the book. And at the c level
> define alternates, i.e, #define c-contiguous contiguous or whatever.
> That way backward compatibility would be maintained but more
> descriptive names would be available.

Printing the flags is not intended for the casual user.  So, I'd like to
keep consistent with C-level names and the names that are printed.

CONTIGUOUS is the old name Numeric used.  It always meant C-CONTIGUOUS
and so that meaning is preserved.  FORTRAN is the new one flag and it

So, you want something like?

and to have C_CONTIGUOUS and F_CONTIGUOUS print for the flags description?

I'm not opposed to it, but I don't really see the need.  It's just a
semantic question.  Given the history of CONTIGUOUS in Numeric I thought
it was clear that CONTIGUOUS always meant C-contiguous.